Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Saved by the Pirates

Narrowing your nostrils is highly unattractive. Why was the author trying to convince us otherwise?

Anyway, I actually liked this book, despite a few problems and a slow beginning. It had a good vibe about it. I felt happy as I was reading it. And it contained pirates. Bad ones.

It started with an action scene (prologue)... and though parts of it were interesting, I had no idea what the H the author was describing. I could't picture any of it. It was all gondolas and bay doors and catwalks and portals and prongs and loops and wires and hoops and grapples and winches and propellers... DUDE! Just... stop. Just stop. I don't see it. This was a precursor to what would happen throughout the book. Long sections where I hadn't a clue what he was trying to describe, and I quickly gave up on ever figuring it out, I just let my eyes scan ahead until the dialog would pick up again. I'm glad to see others had this problem and so we can blame it 100% on the author and pat ourselves on the back for recognizing how bad he is at describing things.

Now, I have a sneaking suspicion that prologue was attached to the beginning to get the reader's initial attention, because I fully expected the adventure to continue, but instead, what came next was rather slow and dull. I mean, an air luxury cruise ship? Unexpected, right? I was thinking maybe an air pirate hunting ship, or an air patrol guard, and I was fully prepared to set a course for adventure, my mind on a new romance... but our hero, Matt Cruse, was merely a bell hop on a luxury cruise line?

About 25% (in Kindlese) into it, the pirates arrived and things finally picked up. There were definitely still problems with the scene descriptions, and some holes in the plot (ie. urgently needing to get Kate back to the airship asap so they could take off, but then discovering the pirates' hideout and suddenly having time to kill and needing to stall the pirates for an entire day), but it just turned into a fun read for me at that point. I liked the author's invention of Hydrium and that it smelled like mango, although I would have gone with dirty dishrag myself. I wasn't a huge fan of Kate at first, as she was so two-dimensional, a caricature of a modern woman more than an actual individual, but she grew on me as the story went on. Matt must be an old soul, since he felt more like 30 years old than 15 years old, but that can be forgiven. I wouldn't recommend this book to everyone, but overall, me likely.

Also, have you gize seen this movie? Best movie ever, by the same name.

PS. Anyone interested in picking the next book?

6 comments:

Bella said...

Great picture of He Who Must Not Be Named and no, I haven't seen Airborne. Maybe my husband and I should watch it for our next date night.

Amanda said...

Darnit! Who is this kid who keeps showing up?!

Amanda said...

Ok guys I forget how to do google wave. Somebody help me out.

Markie23 said...

Maybe we should just do it the old fashioned way - create a discussion blog post.

Amanda said...

Okay, sounds good to me.

samandlysander said...

Dang it I missed it again. I am officially the worst SRBC member ever!!! If you can't find anyone to pick next months book I have a really great one in mind!!! Just say the word!!