Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Monday, September 27, 2010

Tears. For real.

I didn't know what was going to happen either. I was hoping for a couple of things. Like, that Katniss wouldn't die and stuff. I have to agree wholeheartedly with Markie AND with Memzy. It was gutwrenching and sad and depressing but I loved it anyway. I finished the book and I found myself weeping. Just a couple of tears. 'What is this?', I thought. And I'd wipe them away and continue on with my busy-ness and there they'd come again. And so I'd try to own them, let them happen and then find myself laughing - thinking, 'This is ridiculous. It's a book, fhs.' Wipe them away and it would start yet again. I'd start visualizing Katniss and Peeta and their two little kids and how the world just continued regardless of the dead, the torture, the nightmare, the trauma, the games. It killed me. It was SO sad. So very sad. I just wanted to break down and hurt for them. I can't think of more than three books that have had this sort of effect on me. Bravo, S. Collins. Bravo.

I also read solely for entertainment. I love to get lost in the story, pretend I'm part of it, visualize it all in my mind. I hated District 13. I didn't like District 12 either, but at least their time was their own. Coin was a dictator from the get-go and I love that Katniss knew it already. Coin needed to die and Katniss needed to be the one to do it. But Snow needed an arrow too. Kind of a anticlimactic whatever that he died coughing. Booorrrrring.

One of my neighbors thought this was an anti-war book. I stick my tongue out and spit at that. Give me a break. Anti war...... Bull crap. It was about a war. It wasn't a happy ending. But I refuse to believe that S. Collins wrote it just to make a point about war. It was a brilliant fictional creation and I will always love how much I got lost in it.

No comments: