Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Chinese Are Whack, Yo.

Friendship, yes.

Loyalty, of course.

Bed business, giggle.

Traditions, galore.

The thing that stuck with me most and made me have an extremely uncomfortable airplane ride to Los Angeles was the freakin' foot-binding.  Whaaaaat in the aaaayyyche???   I mean, right?  HOW does that make one more marriageable?   WHY is that attractive?  WHY did I need to read about the process in such great detail??

Forget wanting only sons as the way to prove my ultimate worth as a woman.  I wouldn't want to have any daughters so I wouldn't have to bind their adorable widdle feet!

I did some research.  You can thank me later.

Hmmm...this doesn't look tooooooo too bad.....

Um....o...k....?

Aw, look at this adorable little Chinese woman on her golden lilies! 


These are apparently those embroidered shoes they would spend hours making up in the women's chamber.


Ok, Lady Lu, I'd rather you keep your shoe on but, still, doesn't look too bad to me....


Wait, is that....are those?   Nooooooooooooooooooo!  ::gouging out eyes with my Sonic straw::


Ho.  Ly.  Crap.

I think I may have just died of grossness.


::shuddering::

Ok.  So.  There's that. 

Moving on.

I really did enjoy the book (foot-binding details aside).  I find that time and culture fascinating.  The arranged marriages and social hierarchies along with the rituals and superstitions are almost beyond comprehension to someone like me, born in Boise, ID in 1975.  It almost came off as a sci-fi novel sometimes as I could not believe this stuff actually happened.

I thought the story and writing was enjoyable and it moved along well.  I love the causal narrative style the author used.  It's my favorite.  Like you are sitting at an 80 year old Lady Lu's feet as she tells you the story and her laotong.  My only complaint is that I wasn't in love with Snow Flower.  I don't think she was endearing enough to make me care when she died.


Anyway, good read.  Enjoyable.  Definitely a departure from our norm.  Educational.  Thanks Stands!

No comments: