Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Monday, July 5, 2010

This one shoulda stayed a secret...

Jespy's review of The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes Booth by Diane Chamberlain

Has anyone ever told you a big secret that they had been keeping for over twenty something years and you had to sit there and act interested in hearing the secret, but really you couldn't care less? If so, then you know exactly how it feels to read this book.

I had a hard time getting through it, as it is chalk full of unsympathetic characters with nonsensical political views. It had a depressing vibe to it. Not because the story was particularly sad and not because they all blew up in the end, but because the characters led depressing lives and had no redeemable qualities. The bad choices CeeCee made (one after the other) were annoying. I didn't care what happened to her (or anyone else in the book, for that matter), so I was not compelled to pick it up and read on my own. The only thing motivating me to read was not wanting to miss out on the awesome rip-fest dicush. (Which didn't even happen--thanks a lot blogger.)

On a positive note, the opening line in this book was probably the best opening I've ever seen in a book. Better than, "The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit."<--name that book.

Thanks for taking care of June's pick, Hotpants! Sorry the dicush didn't work out. "Too little, too late," eh?


4 comments:

Katie said...

If you want to visit the other end of the CeeCee spectrum, I highly recommend Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.

The Uglies. Meow.

Jenny ESP said...

Highly recommend? K, I'll check it out. I had no idea CeeCee was a spectrum. I was ready to never read another CeeCee book again.

Jenny ESP said...

Oh, and good job with the Uglies. You win!

Amanda said...

I enjoyed your review Jespy. Well said.