Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Something New (for kids)...

HotPants came up with this smart idear to start a new branch of the SRBC for kids, as some of our book selections can be grossly inappropriate for children. (See first sentence of our current book)

I think that is an excruciatingly smart solution, don't you? Thanks, [Smarty]Pants!

Of course, our junior followers are always welcome to read our book selections too (with parent approval, of course) and post a review on here, but this way they'll have a guaranteed age-appropriate book to read every month, and their very own blog on which to review and discuss! Ah, the joy of reading!

So, without further ado, I am thrilled to introduce:


(Web addy: http://smartremarksforkids.blogspot.com/)

The SRBC: Junior Edition will focus only on middle-grade to young-adult level books. Anyone at that reading level is welcome to join. The club will be run by its members (not us adults), although they might need our help to get the club up and running. I asked Cord ESP to write the welcome message and choose the first book.

Our junior division will differ from our parent book club, in that there will be no official fast-and-furious one-hour discussion at the end of the month. I think it would be near impossible to get kids to converge on the Internet like that--we adults can barely manage it. So instead, they will have a one-week period to post their book review, and will be encouraged to read and leave feedback on all the other reviews. Contests and games will be up to whoever is leading the club that month, just like we do it on here. (I have a feeling that the kids will be better at this than we are.)

So, if you're a kid and want to join the new SRBC: Junior Edition, or if you have a kid who might want to join, leave your email addy and I'll send you an invitation to be a contributor to the new blog. That invite will allow you to post things. The blog is otherwise open for public viewing, if you'd rather be a silent follower.

As Cord ESP said, "Happy reading strangers and people i actually know."

8 comments:

Landee said...

Cord will "actually know" Jbird in a couple of weeks. Until then, invite this stranger...

jackbyu7 at yahoo dotcommerz

Link said...

We have a stranger too who wants in. I think Link has already posted a comment on the new blog, but just incase..... willlink25@gmail.com

StandsMom said...

Ooops. That ^^ was me.

Princess Kimi said...

this one sounds way more all up in my alley. Seeya dirty birds! I'm moving on to purer paschurz.

jay kay. I am still only 65 pages into TW*ILI*GHT and I have to be all done with it and new moon and eclipse by the like toward end part of this month. So yeah. Too bizzy. bye.

ShelBailey said...

Yay! Meg will be so excited. Her email is megsduckmail at gmail dot com.

Krissy said...

brynli wants in. I am sure she will be a much more loyal online bookclubber than myself.

bswallow27 at hotmail

Amanda said...

I just wanted to say that I changed my picture last night because I want to be just like you gize. Cuz you gize are cool and stuff.

Jenny ESP said...

So far, everyone has been added, so check your email and accept your invite!