Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, May 2, 2010

S Word

Jespy's review of The Seer and the Sword

Adventure! Intrigue! Warring nations! Murdered kings and kidnapped princes! Seers! Swords! Grown men crying! Grown men requesting friendship in exchange for swords!

What’s not to love about this book?

And according to most reviews floating around the WWW, I’d say this is a much beloved book for many many people. Me, on the other hand, thought it was just aight.

There were several little annoyances in the book that I could forgive, if it weren’t so poorly written. For me, the writing made it fall flat. Large chucks of the story were simply “told” to us. I like to see my stories happen. Most of the characters felt two-dimensional to me, with the exception of Landon. In fact, whenever the POV switched to Landon, the story would come alive. When Landon freed the thieves and made them his band of merry men, when he stole the sword, when he blew up the ships… those were by far the most exciting parts of the book. Had the whole story been told from his POV, I think I would have loved it. Alas, t’was not.

Oh yeah. Sword.

(I ended my review with sword, just like the book did.)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Yeah, um, what was so great about that sword anyway? I never did figure that out.