Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Markie's Review

Once again I've made the mistake of not writing my review immediately after reading the book, which was over a month ago. I've been to Alaska and back since then fhs. I've had to quickly skim through it again just to remember who the main characters were. So, I guess my overall opinion of this book is... forgettable.

What I liked:
It was another easy, entertaining read that required very little brain power to enjoy. I thought the pace was nice, and the story flowed along easily without getting bogged down in a bunch of descriptive details. I like that nobody’s hair was the color of lemon, nobody’s eyes were gangly, and that Violet’s parents, aunt & uncle and their kids, and her boyfriend Jay weren’t blown to bits by a bomb.

What I didn't like:
I think she could have built the suspense more; put Violent in a little more danger for a longer period of time. I was never really too concerned for her safety. I wanted her in the shower with the killer creeping up the stairs; or maybe sitting in her uncle’s police cruiser when she realizes HE is the killer. And the whole second serial killer twist deserved a big “Oh, c’mon, gimme a break”. I knew when she caught the first killer so early in the book, and without much effort or danger that there had to be more to the story, and I hoped for something more ingenious and different than just the same plot line repeated twice.

It’s a lot of pressure choosing a book for this group. I hope you were at least entertained for a little while.

1 comment:

Hot Pants said...

I know this is literally a last minute request, but Sara and I aren't goingbto be able to make it tonight now. Jenny Sam and Memzy all are out and you are out town. Should we or could we put this off a day? I'm out and don't have your number, So I hope you read this.