Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Two Slices: Jespy’s review of The Help

If you’re someone who is wary of character-driven novels, have no fear, The Help will not bore you to tears. In fact, you will have a hard time putting it down, and when you finally do, the characters will stay with you for a long time. And so will Minny’s chocolate pie. I will never forget her pie for the rest of my life. The phrase “two slices” has a whole different meaning to me now, just like hraka did after we read Watership Down.

I was trying to figure out why this book was such a page-turner. Yes, yes, the characters are multidimensional, engaging, likable, etc. But there is something else that Stockett did to make this book hard to put down. She didn’t wait until the end to satisfy our need for justice, but instead fed us little bits of satisfaction along the way, just to wet our appetite before she finally hit us with the grand finale: Two-Slice Hilly.

I loved the old, thick, Southern dialect she used. I’ve never seen dialog written quite like this, yet I hadn’t a lick a trouble pickin' it up. Law!

And, yikes, that’s bout all I have time for. See ya in the discussion!

No comments: