Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Monday, February 1, 2010

From Andrea to SMBC

Dear SMBC Members,
First and foremost, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Andrea, and I don't go around dressed like a lady of the night, or resemble by any means an 80's Solid Gold Dancer despite my blogger profile picture. The picture is so classic that I can't hide it under a bushel.
I am still a fan of gold though. I have 4 kids. And a dog. And a husband named Dave. I also do hair (as Landee can attest.) And while I speak of the legendary Landee, that is how I came to find out about Smart Remarks.
And I do love to read! One can find me at the gym on a machine with a book (and getting annoyed that the club's air conditioning turns the pages for me), or listening to a book on my iphone as I shop or do whatever. So I am forever grateful for the suggestion of joining the infamous SMBC.
Loved Loved Loved the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society despite finding it difficult to remember and be able to verbalize the title.
I don't have a lot of time to give a full review, however, here are some highlights of my favorite character Juliet:
  • Juliet's sense of humor: So many examples in this book but I'll go with the first that made me laugh; "word of God or crowd control?" written in the margin of a 10 commandments book.
  • Juliet's integrity: "if Juliet says she will, she will. If she says she won't, she won't." Even her enemy said in her letter of reference that she was honest.
  • Juliet's kindness: In not wanting to drag her first fiance's name through the mud when she very well could have. Her giving a box of blocks of wood for Eli. This is another category that has a crazy amount of examples.
  • Juliet's self-restraint: In wanting to throw porridge at him but instead whispering, "Get out".
  • Juliet's bravery when she sprinted towards the flames of the bombed library. And proposing to Dawsey! Not a chance women were doing that very often during that time.
  • Juliet's compassion: Her concern for a person she'd only read about, Elizabeth. Also, in wanting to adopt Kit.
  • Juliet's sunny nature and light heart. :) according to Dawsey.
And just as Newsday put it so profoundly.... so beautifully, "I could not put the book down. I have recommended it to all my friends."
Indeed. :)

Yours Truly,

Andrea

P.S. I have a newfound love of letters and found myself wanting to write them all the time since reading this book.

P.P.S. I loved all of the P.S's.


No comments: