Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

From Markie to M. Shaffer & A. Barrows

From Markie to M. Shaffer & A. Barrows

25th January, 2010

Dear Mary Ann & Annie,

What a great little book you two ladies wrote. It was touching, funny, and educational. Your characters were so real and endearing; and what a great idea to introduce them, and share their story through their letters. It just made it all seem so more personal.

It’s a sign of great writing that I grew to love these characters and feel for what they had to endure. I loved learning more about this little piece of history. I have to admit that it started out kind of slow for me. I didn’t realize how much I had come to care for these characters until I read about Elizabeth’s death while riding the bus home, and suddenly found myself choking back tears. I’m sure if I was alone while reading that part I would have been bawling like a baby. As it was I had a lump in my throat all the way home.

I also loved how forming this little book club, even though it came about almost by accident, helped them to cope with unthinkable hardships. I am also part of a Literary Society, and while my problems are incomparably insignificant compared to those inhabitants of Guernsey Island, it’s easy to see what a comfort it would have been to them. Just as Juliet made some great new friends like Dawsey, Isola, Amelia and Eben; I’ve made new friends through ours, including Flem, Landee, and Mother of Stand.

Well, thanks for writing such a great story, and thanks to our book club for once again getting me to read a book that I otherwise would never have picked up, but thoroughly enjoyed.

Sincerely, Markie

No comments: