Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Vote for our January pick....

Hi gize! I'm kind of a "lurker" member of the book club, since I rarely am available to participate in Sunday evening discussions and never remember to post our reviews. But, we read most of the selections, some of them aloud as a family. Jenny asked us to pick the January books, or maybe it was February?

At any rate, we came up with two of them, both of which we've already read and enjoyed. We can't decide, so you get to vote. The first is this one:


It's a story about the German occupation of the island of Guernsey in the English Channel during WWII. It's not a YA book, per se, but it was clean and we read it aloud on a road trip. It's written as a series of letters, which is kind of different. We LOVED the characters and the story was fun and entertaining (which is not what you expect from a WWII story). We loved it.

The other book is this one:



It's written from the perspective of a fifteen year old girl going to a special private school that trains girls to be spys. We thought the writing style was kind of fun. It's more a "teenage" book than the other one, but even Sam enjoyed it almost as much.

I'll take votes until Friday morning, then I'll post the winner.

10 comments:

Cristin said...

WOOOOOOOOT! THe Guernsey Literary!!!!! I've been DYING to talk about it, plus I'd love to read it again.

Amanda said...

I'll take The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society for $800, Alex.

ShelBailey said...

Oh, and both of these are pretty quick reads, so we could wait to start until after next Sundays discussion.

Markie23 said...

I vote for the teenage spy one.

Jenny ESP said...

Early announcement! Thanks for being so on top of things. I'll do either book. They both sound good.

Hot Pants said...

This is a tough one. But, I think I'll go for the spy one, since I love Alias.

good said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny ESP said...

K, I wasn't going to vote, just leave it up to you, but I just started reading the potato book and I already adore it. Potato book. Please.

Memzy said...

Peel those potatoes!!!!

StandsMom said...

Who doesnt love potatoes? Mashed, fried, with cheese, with butter. YUMMM!