Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Vampires verses Fallen Angels (Jespy's Review of Hush Hush)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


^^Please enjoy some music whilst reading my review of Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick.

Knock, knock.
Who’s there?
Total knock-off.
Total knock-off, who?
Total knock-off of Twilight, but I still kinda liked it.

Let’s check out the premise:

Nora Grey (an average girl who’s neglected by her mom, clumsy in Gym class, and bad at softball) has a new, mysterious partner in biology class. She’s intrigued by him, but also, instinctively afraid of him. When he displays some inhuman-like behavior, Nora goes home and consults Google… but instead of googling the obvious (vampires), she googles “fallen angels”, cuz… um… this book is about fallen angels, not vampires. Ahem.

Patch, the fallen-angel-turned-bio-partner, has bigger problems. More than anything else, he wants to make Nora his human sacrifice so he can become a real human boy, but at the same time, he is crazy in love with her. Soooo, he wants to kill her, yet he loves her. Hmmm...

And so the lion fell in love with the lamb. What a stupid lamb. What a sick masochistic lion.

There were no vampires, no werewolves, and no Phoenix natives in Hush Hush, but there were enough similarities to Twilight to make me wonder what the H Ms. Fitzpatrick was trying to pull. She had to know that she was writing to a “Twilight audience”. Was she hoping a bunch of similarities would work in her favor?

Because it totally worked against her. It forced me to compare the two books… and Patch is no Edward.

Last time someone was named Patch, it was this guy:



Perfect name for clown-doctor, but not so good for a “sexy” fallen angel. Although, I think a well-developed, more likable character can overcome a questionable name (ie, Peeta).

The whole “fallen angel” concept could have been better developed. I had questions about Patch. What had he been doing for the last hundred years? Where did he live? What did do all day? How did he earn a living? All that was mentioned was that he used to box, and now he played pool for money. Is that it? He's just a hustler? I also didn't understand why he suddenly fell in love with Nora. Did he imprint on her or something? Cuz if he did, I wish Ms. Fitzpatrick would have just come out and said it.

Nora’s thought process was sometimes confusing and convoluted. I didn’t always understand her motives either. But other than that she was all right.

Despite all the above, I very much enjoyed reading Hush Hush. I could tell because I didn’t want to put it down, and when I had to put it down, I looked forward to picking it up again and continuing where I left off. It wasn’t dull, it wasn’t bogged down with too much description. The dialog flowed well. It had a fast enough pace. I think it had more potential than it lived up to, and I think that removing the Twilight parallels would have helped, but overall, it was a decent read.

No comments: