Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Monday, November 30, 2009

It can't compare to "Twilight," but let's face it, nothing can. With that being said, I'd like to introduce our next book, "The Age of Innocence"


Lust. Desire. Forbidden love. Nope, it's not, Twilight. Before there was Twilight there was The Age of Innocence. Written by a woman, this novel won the Pulitzer Prize in 1921, the first novel by a woman to receive that award. It's well-written and, well, maybe a little to descripty for some, but come on....this is real literature we're talking about. It's not something you'll read in a day, or even two, but I think you'll appreciate the journey. Now don't cheat and watch the movie, give the book a go and let me know what you think.

Also, there'll be a little assignment due at the end of the month. As you're reading the book, try and think of songs to put on a playlist that go well with this story. Try to come up with at least three songs. Happy reading.

7 comments:

Jenny ESP said...

Sounds divine. ::sipping some tea with my pinkie out:: Plus, I'm pretty sure I can download this to my Kindle for free since it was written in the olden days.

PS. Don't be confused, peeps. I know I said last night that Shel was picking the book this month, but it turned out, this was a bad month for her and she needed to switch. Thanks, Amanda, for jumping in!

Memzy said...

Off to the library!!

Cristin said...

woot!!! Since I've seen the movie already, I can't wait to actually read the book which we all know is sooooooooooo much better than the movies...you know except for Jacobs abs...I didn't visualize them as well as the movie.

Jenny ESP said...

If you don't mind reading it at your computer, copy/pates this into your browser and you can read it for free:

http://books.google.com/books?id=kmMeAAAAMAAJ&dq=age+of+innocence&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=gAxse1ycom&sig=m11fV56bqk4atBMhxFhXS_skOJY&hl=en&ei=rQUUS-qLNYegMN6q8TM&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCEQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

I also found a free version on my Kindle, so if you have an iPhone/iTouch, you can download it for free using your free "kindle" app.

Amanda said...

I didn't know there was a free Kindle app. That's good to know. Thanks Jenny.

Hot Pants said...

You know a book is good when they make a movie out of it. I'm on it.

eekareek said...

You had me at Michelle Pfeiffer.