Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, October 25, 2009

MUST READ...

...if you HATE yourself and want to force yourself to read a horrible book as punishment.

There was so much hype floating around the Internet about this book before it was released, I was really excited about reading it. I even marked my calender for its release date and bought it the day it came out. The concept was interesting, the conflicts between the characters were thrilling, the book started off fast, and it was hard to put down.

So why didn't I like this book? Because it had so much potential, but it completely failed to live up to that potential. Eeek's review summed up my feelings exactly. The characters were continually thrown into potentially interesting conflicts, yet the conflicts would always be resolved in the most uninteresting ways. There was zero chemistry between Mary and Travis, yet the author continued to push that relationship. I'm sure the author intended the ending to be tragic, but it was just horrible. For an ending to be tragic, we have to care about the characters. Travis was so dull and two-dimensional, that I was relived when he died. Mary was so self-centered and unlikeable, that I didn't care if she lived or died. I could not relate to her internal struggles, and the fact that she would put her need to see the ocean over everybody else in her life, made me want to slap her.

What a disappointment.

No comments: