Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Writing Skillz, or How Landee Got It Wrong Again

I'm staring into the snakelike eyes of President Snow.

"By the way, I know about the kiss." Then the door clicks shut behind him.

I'll have to marry Peeta.

Forcing him to his knees before the crowd. And putting a bullet through his head.

Was giving everything over to you, keeping up the game, promising to marry Peeta enough? In answer, he gives an almost imperceptible shake of his head.

This is what President Snow calls an uprising.

The pieces of the picture do not quite come together until I see his arm raise the whip.

"Me too," Gale says. He just manages a smile before the drugs pull him back under.

But an image is clearly stamped in the center of it [cracker]. It's my mockingjay.

She's not in District 13 at all. Which begs the question, What is?

I am going back into the arena.

And I'm left staring out the window, watching District 12 disappear with all my goodbyes still hanging on my lips.

And surely, two people who have caused the Capitol so much trouble can think of a way to get Peeta home alive.

Our new Avox is Darius.

Then I step away quickly to watch the reaction on the Gamemakers' face as they read the name on the dummy.
SENECA CRANE.

Because Cinna has turned me into a mockingjay.

This is no place for a girl on fire.

I press my ear against his chest, to the spot where I always rest my head, where I know I will hear the strong and steady beat of his heart. Instead, I find silence.

In the few seconds it takes to rouse them, I begin to blister.

"Tick, tock. This is a clock."

I run wildly in the direction of the voice, heedless of danger, ripping through the vines and branches through anything that keeps me from reaching her. From reaching my little sister.

I try to imagine that world, somewhere in the future... where Peeta's child could be safe.

Surely my mother and Prim will know to return it to Peeta before they bury my body.

My eyes strain to capture one last image of beauty to take with me. Right before the explosions begin, I find a star.

"Katniss, there is no District Twelve."

___________________________________
Those were the last sentences of each chapter. If you did not relive the excitement and the tension all over again, you must not have read the book. There were details that were unexpected, the book was unpredictable, and as usual, S. Collins truly captured my imagination and I was swept up in the emotion.

I love that the relationships are all affected by the political oppression. The fact that Katniss can't even decide who to love because she is forbidden on both counts. The whipping wasn't meant to invoke your sorrow over Gale specifically, it was meant to draw you into the world of Katniss where she can barely even think about love. We weren't meant to feel sad, we were meant to fill overwhelmed at her sense of futility.

The mockingjay as a symbol, but even then, not the message she was sending. A pawn on both sides.

There might have been details you didn't like (I loved that she picked all the olds as her friends) but there was nothing flawed about the book. And who doesn't love a doozy of a cliffhanger?

There is no district 12.













1 comment:

Landee said...

Flem....the freakin' mind reader. What, you and Suzanne had lunch, did you? Whatevs. It's on. It is so on.