Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

I thought I was something of an expert on hunger, but this is an entirely new kind.

Sigh. I love that line^^, don't you? From page 353.

I have many favorite scenes from Catching Fire. Like when Katniss wrote Seneca Crane on the dummy, or the public show of defiance in district 11, or when Gale was whipped, or when Peeta announced Katniss was prego, or Katniss's and Peeta's last day on the roof in the Capitol... but I think page 352-3 is my favorite.

I was a die-hard fan of the entire Hunger Games series by page 23 of book one. I am in love with characters. I am in love with the high-stakes plot. I am in love with S. Collins’s no nonsense writing style.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is my all-time favorite book, end of story.

Knowing all that, it is simply impossible for me to NOT love the sequel, Catching Fire. Just impossible. I am too far-gone. I am a crazed fanatic.

Before I started Catching Fire, my expectations were through the roof. As far as the characters, the pace, the excitement, and the BRILLIANT writing goes, all of my expectations were met and then some.

However, when it came to the plot, I had very specific expectations for the second book, and almost none of my expectations were met. That was a hard nightlock berry to swallow, but I don’t necessarily think it was a bad thing that the story line didn’t go as I expected. It made the book shocking and unpredictable. I don’t care how wide your book margin is, no one could have predicted that we’d see both Katniss and Peeta competing in another hunger games. I kept thinking, “Wait, they aren’t really going back to compete again, are they? This isn’t really going to happen. Something major is going to occur, and the whole thing will be stopped.”

To be honest, I didn’t want to watch them compete in the hunger games again. I wanted to see them become mentors, and see them outsmart the Capitol and lead the rebellion.

But here is where my die-hard fandom may have come in handy, because I found myself easily letting go of everything I wanted to happen, and just going with it. It helped that S. Collins is such a masterful writer and has such an inventive imagination.

I have more to say, but I'm going to save it for the discussion.

No comments: