Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Landee Lu Pipes Up

Sally Sue, Lizzie Lee, Piggy Pooh, Billy Bob.... yup, this is a town where Landee Lu can fit right in. Or can she? I would hope I'd be more like Piper McCloud than the rest of those townsfolk (yes, it was not lost on me that she was the ONLY one with out alliteration in her name, you know, cuz she was different and stuff). Piper was imaginative, kind, a hard-worker, maybe a bit naive but nice.... always nice. Niceness is a quality I rank extremely high... like #1... or #2 at the most.

As for the book, it was just what the doctor ordered for a quick summer read. Light, entertaining, whimsical and breathy. I don't know what breathy means but I couldn't think of another word and that was the best I could come up with. Yes it was easy. Yes it was simply written. But who wants a Debbie Downer/deep, meaningful book every month? Not me. It was a breath of fresh air (there, that's what I meant by breathy!). Once I figured out what time period this was I was all set--- I was srsly confused on that for a while.

As for the characters, I thought they were interesting enough. Some were predictable (knowing Conrad had to be up to something, knowing Hellion was a bizznatch from the get-go, etc) but who doesn't love a little predictability in life? I'll tell you what, I hope all the characters in MY life stay predictable, ifyouknowwhati'msayin. I do wish there would have been more on J, however. Like, I wish he would have sneaked into Piper's room at night and watched her sleep. I wish he would have taken her on his back and jumped tree top to tree top and she would have held on like a little spider monkey..... ahem, or, at the very least, I wish he would have filled her in on what's what in that INSANE place. That would have been better than Conrad's torture and all the poems he wrote on his bedroom wall.

All in all, I enjoyed this book. I never got bogged down. I appreciated it for what it was. Best of all I read it in about a day and a half. It made me feel smart.

PS I may not be at the discush tonight. I'll try but I'll be stuffing my face at my bro's in-law's house this evening. I hope I can make it.

No comments: