Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Decisions Decisions...

Gize, I was seriously worried that I wouldn't think of a book for this month but as July progressed I thought of more and more books and now it's to the point, that I'm having difficulty choosing. I'm thinking about putting all the ideas in a hat and having one of the kids draw a name.

I mean, do I risk having my secret love of Christian romance get picked on??? Like Janette Oakes Canadian Series. It has Canadian Mounties, tea and some "saving" going on which I heart since my best friends are the "saving" kind of Christians.

Or do I go for the classics like Persuasion by Jane Austin
or North and South by Elizabeth Gaskel

(though the movie has an even better ending then the book. Think Anne and Gilbert or Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy).
But then a few weeks ago while on our Mother/ Daughter date with Sara, I found this book at Borders.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I know for a fact that Ms. Juliet and I would be best friends and she would write me witty letters every week. I mean I'm only half way through the book and I'm pretty sure it's going to be just as good till the end.

But then do I dare mention or not mention my love of

The Kommandant's Girl and The Diplomats wife by Pam Jenoff. Cathe lent me The Diplomats wife and afterward I found out that there was a book before, though they can be read separately. I heart them both but I think my favorite is The Diplomats Wife. They might be a little more risky but I enjoyed them. It has love, sex, danger, suspense and Nazi's. They are so good...you know except for the Nazi's. I would say they are probably a PG13 rating.

Now can you see why it's so difficult??? But in the end I'm gonna choose ::drum roll::

The Diplomats Wife by Pam Jenoff. I honestly hope I don't offend anyone with the pg 13 book...but it's soooooooooooo good. This may mean that you will be forced to read The Kommandant's Girl but I promise you don't have to.





6 comments:

Memzy said...

This is the best part about SRBC. Reading books I've never heard of and new stuff like that. I'm excited! Great job Cristin!

StandsMom said...

Hooray!!! I can't wait to get it started!

Mary said...

Hey, Cristin, someone has finally come up with a book that peaks my interest. I saw North and South and have wanted to read it since I saw the DVD, but you've worried me with the revelation that the ending wasn't as good in the book. I read Wives and Daughters and didn't like it as well as I liked the North and South DVD. But I'm grateful for all of the reading suggestions besides the one chosen. Thanks for doing the research to come up with my reading material for the next few months!!!!!

Landee said...

Oooooohhhh.... this looks all "adultish." Good call! We need some maturity round these here parts.

Ann, will you buy it? And if so can I borrow it when you're done? Again?

Jenny ESP said...

Ah Crispy, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your careful thought process in choosing a book for us humble readers. All them books looked good, so you couldn't go wrong, but... Nazis and love making? You've made my day. You haven't taken one wrong step since we've started this dance competition. <--said like Mary Murphy from sytycd.

Also, I too read Christian Lit. Seein' people get "saved" and stuff is my guilty pleasure. That, and the AirOne Christian rock station. And Persuasion is the best Austen book of all. Kindle spirits, we are.

Kat said...

Excited about your pick! I just finished "Potato Peel Society" LOVED it!!