Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cheesy Romancia

I love me some romance. Like Mr. Darcy/Miss Bennett romance.

This book didn't really find romance as far as I can tell. I think the author tried to build romance by having Paul see her as a concentration camp victim and fall in love with her but that was weird. I think that it could have been built up more by having them actually have a conversation. As far as I can tell, their whole relationship was built on her memory of his "gentle touch" as he was rescuing her. Again, a little weird.

Overall, it was a semi-fun read. The setting made it interesting and the best surprise in the book is that Jan was a woman. Loved that twist. Too bad that was kind of unrelated to the main plot so it was only somewhat shocking.

I think I should go back and read the other book because I think there was this whole tortured romance with her and the married dude and that actually seemed more interesting--the idea of her being involved in the resistance with someone and hiding furtively away, THAT could be romance.

I guess what I like about a romance is a slow build. When people fall straight in love, I don't buy it--perhaps that says something more about me than about these actual romances.

Would I read it again? No.
Would I recommend it? Sure, to a kind of silly teenager (that is our genre afterall, right?)
Am I glad I read it? Yeah. As memzy mentioned, I thought it was different than the normal stuff and it had some interesting bits in it.

And Katniss better get together with Peeta.

No comments: