Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

July July July

OMGOSH! I'm freeeeking out over choosing a book. I don't know why. It makes me giggle with uncomfortableness because I'm embarrassed and not sure it'll be a gooder choice than some of the ones gone by. But, it ain't gonna pick itself, now is it? Reading everyone's reviews of These Is My Words has this little twang a-ringin' in my head. Sorry that it's spillin' into my writin'.

I was going to pick a Jodi Piccoult book, but after only the first 14 pages, I'd read the 'f' word twice and decided that wouldn't be good. I don't want to subject anyone to reading foul language.

Soooooooo.....I have two selections and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Selection A



The Girl Who Could Fly, by Victoria Forester. This is a light-hearted, pretty easy read. Several weeks ago, I came across a recommendation for this book from Stephanie Meyer on her website. She describes it as something like Little House on the Prairie meets XMen. I would have to agree. I quite enjoyed it. I really mean it when I say light-hearted. It isn't meaty and there won't be much to sink your teeth into. Even so, I think you'll like it too, and find it entertaining. It gets 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon.

Selection B

(sorry about the click to look inside thingy - it's dumb)

I recently watched this movie. I was aghast and spellbound. I was thrilled and impressed. Knowing how much more enjoyable a book is than a movie, I decided I had to read it and then decided that maybe it could be part of the vote this month. This book gets 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon and a lot of rave reviews. I think it would be fascinating.

So, there it is. Lay it on me. What do you think?

10 comments:

Cristin said...

umm I'm gonna be totally unhelpful but I have both and have been dying to read them so either is good for me. See...totally unhelpful but I like your choices. hahaha

Hot Pants said...

Jespy loves the "f" word.

Is Inkhart a movie? Have I seen it?
Is The Girl Who Could Fly anything like the movie The Boy Who Could Fly?

I'm gonna need these questions answered before I vote. (I'd read either one though)

Memzy said...

You pick. Oh wise book picker.

Markie23 said...

They both look like good picks to me. I might be leaning slightly towards Inkheart 'cause I downloaded the movie but haven't watched it yet, and 'cause the author's last name makes me giggle.
-Analrapist

StandsMom said...

Cristin, glad you'll be happy either way. :) Blistering Britches, it is a movie. I don't know if you've seen it, but if you haven't (don't!) wait until we've read it. If that's the choice. The Boy Who Could Fly is nothing like The Girl Who Could Fly. MemZ, thanks for the 'wise' thing, but srsly? Markie...ummmmmmmmmm....what? Is it too early in the morning? How does Cornelia Funke make you think of - well, maybe I don't want to know. :D

Jenny ESP said...

Hmmm, I'll read either. I already saw the movie Inkheart, so I would lean towards "the girl who could fly," but I'll leave it up to you. I love how this book club is all over the place with book selections. Keeps things interesting.

ShelBailey said...

FInally, a book that I've already read. I'm always a month behind you gize.

Inkheart was great and WAY better than the movie. SO, that's my vote.

Markie23 said...

The TV series Arrested Development had a character named Tobias Funke. He described himself as both an Analyst AND a Therapist - Analrapist for short. He was also a "nevernude".

Landee said...

I vote for The Girl Who Could Fly cuz I could borrow it from you or Inkheart cuz I already have it but haven't read it yet.

Neener neener neener.

YOU have to choose!!

samandlysander said...

Hmmm I really want to read them both so it's a hard decision. i'll go for The Girl Who Could Fly.