Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Number Two... (by Jenny ESP)

...And when I say number two, I'm not talking about pooh. I'm talking about The Thief Series being the second best book selection (second to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, of course) that our humble book club has ever selected.

Too bad Markie (our valiant leader this time around) didn't get the same thing out of it as I did. As to his review, I just want to point out a little thing called "my precious," in a little book called "LOTR," which was "one ring to rule them all," and yet those stupid hobbits insisted on destroying it by throwing it into, not just any volcano, but a volcano that was far far away and not within close proximity to a water source. Ridiculous. What was the point? Ahem.

The Thief
I'll admit, even though I loved Gen right off the bat, it wasn't until he hid behind that rock and jumped down onto the guards to help his frenemies get away, that I started to become enthralled with the story. That's when I realized there was a lot more to Gen's character--and the book--than meets the eye. I, in all my book snobbery expertise, did not see that ending coming. And I believed it. In fact, I thought it was an utterly brilliant twist and it all made sense. My mind retraced details, and I relived the book, seeing Gen in a completely different light. No wonder Mr. Newbery Honored it. Well deserved.

I love that Gen was an unlikely hero, and that he stayed that way throughout the entire series. After the first book, it would have been easy to have Gen come back in the second book as some larger than life hero, but he didn't. He still screwed up and made stupid choices, he still whined and sulked when things didn't go his way, and he was still clever, self-sacrificing and devastatingly loyal. Sigh.

The Queen's Thief
Talk about a "oh know she di'int" moment right from the start. I had to reread that one part over and over to make sure she really did that. Then I started texted peeps like crazy, telling them to hurry up and read!!! I could not put it down, and I thought Gen's mood was very appropriate, considering. Bold move indeed, to give the main hero such a handicap. I found the plot interesting... the wars between the countries, and how Gen cleverly solved the whole thing. As far as the Queen B, I just wanted Gen to be happy, and if he loved the B and wanted to marry her, then so be it. And when he kidnapped her and then admitted that he loved her, and she was all stunned and then acted like she didn't care but really she did... sigh. Reminded me of Madmardigan and Sorsha from Willow. 1988, y'all.

The King of Attolia
I think this book was really for the readers who loved Gen and couldn't get enough of him. Not a super complicated plot, just Gen totally winning over and changing the minds of an entire country. I loved it. I wish there would have been more from his POV, and that we had gotten to eves drop on Gen and Queen B working out the whole "Sorry I cut off your hand" thing. I imagine that Gen would have come up with some clever way of proving to her that he loved her so much, his arm didn't matter. Sigh.

Clearly, the story is not over, since it was prophesied that Gen would be the "king of kings." He still has entire populations of people to win over--starting in Utah, if Markie is any indication. In fact, the next book in the series will be out in fall 2010. Anyone want to join me at the release party?

Only confusing thing in the whole series... I did not have a good sense of Gen's age. He seemed about 40 half the time, but they kept referring to him as a "just a young boy" so I would try to remember he was young, but my mind kept seeing him much older. Huh to the what?

No comments: