Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Eugene... Where Have You Been All My Life?

Markie's review made me sad.

I LOVED these books. Could not get enough. Went into a slight depression after reading the last word and closing the book. I think I may have even hugged the book and let out an audible sigh.

Yes, there was a lot of political maneuvering, traveling and what not but to me it all laid the groundwork for the truly poignant moments that were sprinkled throughout.

Now that I sit here and think about why I loved these books so much, I've come to realize that all of it is because of how much I love Gen. And when I say love... I mean L.O.V.E. And it's not because he is physically attractive either. He was never really described as a particularly attractive person (although once I put Orlando Bloom in there, that didn't hurt).

No. The reason I L.O.V.E. Gen is because I absolutely love people who are more than meets the eye. I love people that are the world's "best kept secrets." Some people don't do it on purpose. They are either really shy or have a closed personality for some reason. Then you get to know them little by little and realize that they are the neatest/funniest/kindest/most entertaining person ever. Love that. Love those people. I feel like I'm the exact opposite.... obnoxious, let-it-all-hang-out, take me or leave me type person. Maybe that's why I can appreciate a little restraint. I have none.

However, in Gen's case, he holds back on purpose. He sees the bigger picture. He doesn't go in with his crazy fighting skillz and off people left & right. He allows himself to be imprisoned, tortured and otherwise mistreated in order to make things happen. I love it. So self-sacrificing. And he's wicked smaht too. Life is a big chess game for my little Eugene, and he is the master. You gotta love brains over brawn and he had both.... heavy on the brains and only using the brawn when necessary.

As for all the other characters, I felt like they were simply there as props to tell Gen's story. And, quite frankly, that's how I liked it. Some of my favorite moments were..... when he is charming the socks off everyone they come in contact with on their way to the cave. Particularly when he twirls his finger around the end of his braid to indicate to the inn keeper girl that he needed a piece of twine. I loved when he attacks the Attolia soldiers in order to save the Magus & crew. My heart hurt when the queen (after he kidnapped her after a brilliant execution of a brilliant plan) walked up to his tent to see him getting his hook-thingy taken off and he is in serious pain. I loved it when Costis first sees the Eugenedes in Attolia's bed after the assassination attempt. And I really loved the ending when he is describing all his scars & the men finally see him for what he really is.

I, for one, cannot wait to see what that oily, two-pointed bearded jagbag is going to attempt to do to the King of Attolia. I'll rest assured knowing my little Eugene will be one step ahead.

I shall weep for you tonight, Sir Markie.

Weep.

And maybe have you flayed.

1 comment:

Saahiti Annamneedi said...

Woahh..That's pretty intense love lady:P I couldn't agree more Landee, I'm a Gen-hearter as well and for that matter, a life-long devotee to MWT's impeccable, awe-inspiring, hair-rising writing! The wonders she creates with words, no word wasted, are beyond description..She is a severely under-read author, and a lot more people should be reading this series!