Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

City of Forks/Hogwarts

I’m pretty sure Cassandra Clare was at a party with Harry Potter and Twilight, introduced them, and nine months later, the Mortal Instruments series was born.


For me, the series was an absolute pleasure to read. Absolutely. It was creative and well developed. I fell in deep with the characters and the story line, which is all it takes for me. I could not stop reading until I had finished all three books. And when I was finished, I felt dead inside. Yeah, it’s one of those books.


The secondary characters were well-developed (who wouldn’t love Magnus?). I liked Clary from the beginning, but she grew on me more as the series continued. I enjoyed Jace, laughed at some of his smart-A dialog, dreamt about him, and was rooting for him all the way, but my favorite character was Simon. He was a nerd, through and through. By the end of book three, after Simon had shown more than his fair share of loyalty and self-sacrifice, I decided that I cared more about what happened to him, than Clary and Jace.


I would highly recommend the series to anyone who wants to read a fun and exciting page turner.


That being said, this was no Hunger Games. One must be willing to ignore a few problems in order to thoroughly enjoy it.


“Black blood” seemed to be the phrase of choice throughout the series. Last time I checked, blood was red.


It had lots of fun and clever dialog in there, but there was also lots of unlikely “info dump” dialog. You know, things like “Tell me again why we are walking into this building that we have no business walking into?” “You know the reason, sigh, but I’ll explain it to you again.” Um, yeah. That was just a way to clue the reader in, but it was just unlikely dialog to me, and it happened quite a bit. Made me giggle.


Also, the characters were just down right stupid to not see all that was apparent to us as readers. There were many examples of this. No way were Jace and Clary bro and sis. Also, it seemed obvious at one point that Sebastian (book 3) was her brother, but the characters remained clueless until the end.


Lastly, there were a few very convenient contrivances. Like when they needed someone to drive, so they had to call Simon since he was the only one with a driver’s license, even those Jace had driven a motorcycle days before with no regard for the law.


Anyhow, the characters and story over-road these problems and it all got better as series progressed. Go ahead and read it.

No comments: