Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Jespy on Watership Down

Don't have a lot of time to write this, so I might come across bluntly.

Parts 1 & 2 read like required high school reading. Not bad, but not a pure pleasure to read. I began to feel almost resentful of it the more I read, it was so assignment-feeling. Also, I could easily identify it as a book written in the 1970s, as it had a far-out psychedelic vibe. Fiver got into the 'shroom patch a time or two, if you know what I mean.

Parts 3 & 4 were a pure pleasure to read. I whipped through it quickly enough without falling asleep every few pages, and did not feel like putting it down. I also felt a better connection with the characters from here on out. I absolutely fell in love with a few of the characters, especially Bigwig. If I were a rabbit, I'd mate that. And then go pass hraka in a field of clover.





I wish the book was split in two and I only had to read the second half. Then I would have given it 5 stars for sure. I'm still glad I read it. Eeek, out of time.

Favorite line of the book came when Bigwig was fighting Woundwort and Woundwort asked him to "join him" (a la darth vader) and Bigwig goes, "Silflay hraka" which we all know means "eat S" in rabbitese. Loved it.

No comments: