Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, December 7, 2008

In a world of extreme beauty, anyone normal is ugly...

...and anyone ugly is getting that surgery to turn pretty. And fast. As it should be.

I had high hopes for this book, and the first 31 pages were encouraging: Best friends, one ugly, one pretty. The ugly one crushin' on the pretty one big time, the pretty one barely tolerating the sight of the ugly one, and a river with a tattle-telling bridge between them. Yes, in those first 31 pages, I was very interested to know what would become of ugly Tally Youngblood and her childhood BFF, pretty Peris Whatshisface.

But the book didn't exactly take us in that direction. Instead, Tally stumbles upon ugly Shay, and Peris is soon forgotten as Tally and Shay become best friends (very unconvincingly, I might add).

As Erin would say, BOOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGGGG.

Tally and Shay spend the next few months leading up to their pretty surgery doing all kinds of boring things, and not having much in common besides hoover boarding. I wasn't feeling any love betwixt them, even though Mr. Westerfeld stated it was so.

Things began to pick up after Shay ran away, and Tally agreed to betray Shay and all the other Smokies in exchange for being turned pretty.

Wow, I'm liking this Tally girl now!(<--sarcasm)

But wait, none of this was Tally's fault. She was pressured into betraying Shay and the Smokies for, like, three days straight, you gize! And besides, Tally made admirable decisions after that. Like the time she back-stabbed her BFF by stealing her boyfriend David (whom Tally had strong, mediocre, indifferent feelings for), and then lied about it. And the other time Tally lied, and allowed David to believe that she had nothing to do with Special Circumstances finding the Smoke, burning his home, and killing his father.(<--all sarcasm, you gize. The whole paragraph.)

See, I'm all for characters making mistakes and then redeeming themselves in some grand way, and Tally eventually does so at the very end when she turns herself in, but it was too late for me. I despised the fact that she deceived David that whole time they were alone together, and allowed him to think she was the most bubbly person to walk the Earth, when really she had been a person of weak moral character. If, supposedly, she had had a change of heart after learning the truth about the Pretties from David's parents, then she should have been a person of higher character after that point.

Which brings me to David. A shamefully boring character who falls head over heels in love with Tally for reasons unexplained. It must have happened off-page. I didn't believe it for a moment.

The name "David" was described as weird and made-up sounding. I was surprised it didn't stand the test of time. I have an uncle named David. Also, King David from the Old Testament.

Now I should say something nice about the book, even though I'm bored of writing about it, and you're probably equally bored reading about it.

So, the Uglies was easy to read and it held my interest enough for me to read it in one sitting. I loved the lingo and the futuristic thingamajigs of the future, like talking houses and such. I loved the concept.

The scenes of Tally traveling to the Smoke were strangely non-boring and adventurous-seeming. And also strange was this lingering desire I had at the end of the book to learn what happens to two random characters: Peris and Croy.

Amy lent me Pretties and Specials and I will eventually read them, so that says something.

I look forward to our deep discussion tonight. Don't be late.

PS. The analogy of cat vomit was used twice, thus losing it's dramatic effect:

Opening line:
"The early summer sky was the color of cat vomit."

Go to page 122. Halfway down.
"Out the window, the sun was just beginning to turn the towers of New Pretty Town pink. Cat-vomit pink."

1 comment:

Katie said...

I noticed the use of cat vomit twice too. Should have just kept his mouth shut!