Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Sunday, November 9, 2008

And The Winner Is...



Some of you will be devastated by this month's book selection. I recognize that many of you voted for other books. But the American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly. In a campaign this long and difficult, this book's victory commands my respect alone.

We have come a long way from the superficial, judgmental book club we once were. There is no better evidence of that than the fact that this Ugly book beat out other, Prettier books. Let there be no reason now for an author to blame their poor book sales on bad cover art.

I urge all book clubbers to embrace this book, regardless of how you feel about reading it, for the good of our Smart Remarks book club as a whole. Embrace it. Find lame terminology and passages and overuse them. Describe sun rises and sun sets as the color of cat vomit. And above all, be Ugly.

We are fellow Smart Remarks book clubbers, and please believe me when I say that no other association has ever meant more to me than that. (besides being fellow Americans)

15 comments:

Katie said...

Guess what I am doing...READING!!! I am starting with Twilight. I am already on page 17, and I am going back for more. I will probably be finished soon enough to read this one and others. This has been a tough decision. Music or reading? Since my antenna is out on my radio, and I am sick of all, well most, of the songs on there, I am going to try reading. I am going to need a lot of encouragement.
BTW-do you have any new songs you recommend?

Memzy said...

I am soooo excited. I am going to go find the ugliest picture of myself. It might take a while to sift through all of them tho. I'll get back to you.

Emily said...

Awesome. Can't wait to get started.

Landee said...

Your words sound familiar... I can't quite put my finger on it.

But yeah for the Uglies!! I'm going to B&N on the morrow cuz I don't want to wait for someone to ship it to me. Since when did I get so unlazy? I know, I'm excited.

Jenny ESP said...

What are you getting at, L?

So, I'm guessing this blog is being temperamental and won't let people add their Uglies pictures to the side bar, cuz a few people told me so. If you want me to add your pic for you, my email address is (a j esplin at msn dot com) in case you didn't know, but you probably did know. Did I mention that this contest has a prize? And it's an Ugly prize.

PS. I finished the book, it was kinda short (bigger font), a very easy read, and very ugly. It reminded me of cat vomit.

Landee said...

That doesn't sound like a stellar review. I mean, Hunger Games at least got an avatar feeding the homeless.

Maybe I won't get the box set.

Cristin said...

oh maaaaaaan, i need to know if I should get boxed set, I'm ordering today because I STILL have not become unlazy.

Sam, Shel & Co said...

Not having any personal experience to draw on, I always assumed that the color of cat vomit was directly related to whatever the cat ate last.

Thanks for enlightening me.

It's the same color as my first car. But my mom called that baby-cr*& yellow. It was ugly.

ManicMandee said...

Are you copying someone's speech. It does sound a little familiar. Yet it was so inspiring. Looking forward to the new book!

Memzy said...

I might email you a new ugly pic soon. It's starting to look like a "cross your eyes" set of pics over there.

Erin Beck said...

I dont feel like reading! Come on lets start a club were we arent reading....B.O.O.O.O.R.I.N.G! I have enough to read already. Lets start a fan club!

Memzy said...

This site is reeeeeeally shaping up.

Katie said...

My books is now available at the library. I would rush and get it now, but it is Sunday...

Landee said...

The library doesn't count Katie... it's all free. Duh.

quesetescapa said...

Wait does this include Pretties and Specials?

If not, we better hurry and post on Uglies before I forget what was in the first book...