Things I LOVED:
• The writing. Unlike somebody else (pointing at SMeyer), Suzanne wastes no words. Every back story she tells, every description of scenery, every freaking sentence means something. LOVE that.
• Peeta. He had me at “blonde hair across his forehead,” continued with getting beat by his mother to give Katniss some bread and finalized it with his sense of humor & devotion to Kat.
• The social commentaries. The one I can think of right now is when she’s describing the people of the Capital and how they do surgeries to look younger and thinner. Then she says “In District 12, looking old is something of an achievement since so many people die early. You see and elderly person you want to congratulate them on their longevity, ask the secret of survival. A plump person is envied because they aren’t scraping by like the majority of us. But here it is different. Wrinkles aren’t desirable. A round belly isn’t a sign of success.”
• Katniss. She is a girl who will do what has to be done. That’s it and that’s all. She killed that friendly lynx at the beginning of the story because it was scaring off her prey. She took over as head of her household at 11 years old because it was do that or starve to death. She volunteered to take Prim’s place (I literally bawled when the crowd refused to clap, btw). Even though she despises the Capital, she played right to the Capital audience because that is what it took to get her home. My absolute favorite part is when she is up in the tree & overhears the Careers and Peeta talking. She then jumps down out of the tree after they have left and knows how excited the “audience at home” is going to be after they realize she had been in the tree that whole time & heard everything. Then she goes “So as I slide out of the foliage and into the dawn light, I pause a second, giving the cameras time to lock on me. Then I cock my head slightly to the side and give a knowing smile. There! Let them figure out what that means!” Srsly, I lollerzed.
• The terms used for things: mockingjays, tracker jackers, nightlock berries…. All very good descriptive names for things.
• Cinna. The classy homosexual stylist we all want to be our BFF.
• Favorite scenes that stood out: Peeta shaking his head a little so Kat wouldn’t go after the bow & arrows at the Cornucopia (that place is whack, yo!).The tracker jacker attack on the Careers. Genius I tell ya. Her alliance with Rue/decorating Rue’s body as a way to rebel. District 11 sending Kat the loaf of bread. Finding Peeta in the stream all camoflauged. My heart fluttered a bit when he said “Come to finish me off, sweetheart?” The berries killing Foxface deaderz. The ingenious plan of pretending to eat the berries so they could both win.
Things I Didn’t Like:
• The Muttations. Srsly. Creepy. Yucky. Me no likey.
• Kat’s inability to see that anyone could love her. It was quite Bella-ish. I was screaming in my head the whole time “Pull yer head out Kat! Geesh!” But then again, if she had effortlessly fallen in love with Peeta then what kind of a story would this be? I know. But still. Pull it out.
I realize I can’t cover everything in this book. I hope more will come out in the comments.
Bottom line, I loved it. Loved it. And then loved it some more.
Some things to ponder:
What will happen with Kat & Gale now?
How awful would it be to be a mentor or stylist for one of the tributes who was killed?
How gross is it to think about eating rabbit?
Why was there no mention of how & when Kat sealed the deal?
Why do I, a happily married woman, want Peeta to frost my cake?