Spoiler Warning

Book reviews and discussions may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk!

Friday, October 31, 2008

In defense of Grand Sophy....

Well ladies (and Markie), I should have come back after my meetin' last night, 'cuz ya'll were still here. Whodafiggered? And yes, I read ALL 406 comments.

I'm not nominating The Grand Sophy for the next book because, frankly, it's hard to find. The paperback is out of print, even used ones on Amazon are expensive, Amazon lists the hard bound at $32 and last I checked they were out of stock. So you'd probably have to go the library route. And since some of us have an irrational fear of library books, that would be bad. So unless Markie wants to send his copy around with a pair of rubber gloves and a promise that he hadn't read it in the can....it would be tough.

That said, I found it in the library and Sam and I read it on our last road trip. We LOVED it. It's entertaining, the story is complex and fun, lots of laugh-out-loud moments. Her characters are very Jane Austenish. You do need a dictionary, however. Just about once a chapter or so, the author will use a word that makes you go "hmmmmmm????????, what?????". Wish I could remember any of them, I'd give you a demo....but I'm old and have a short memory, and it's been a whole two weeks since I read it.

I'd go into more detail, but I still don't have Meghan's Halloween costume done and I have to make chili for the ward party chili competition. It could be that it will taste remarkably like Dennisons.

Anyway, if you don't have libraryphobia, go look it up and give it a try.

11 comments:

ManicMandee said...

I definitely don't have libraryfobia. I love libraries! The moth ball smell is so romantic and nostalgic to me.

Sam, Shel & Co said...

I love libraries, but mostly because I love the that I can read ALL those books and not have to buy them. When I have time, I read A LOT.

Hot Pants said...

I guess I could spray the book down with Lysol. I'll have to first check through all the old Datelines and see what sorts of black lights tests they have done on this.
Where does this book take place, cuz maybe it is somewhere I would want to visit, then it might make the cut.
And I can't believe you read all those comments, truly dedicated!

Sam, Shel & Co said...

It's set in London.

Cristin said...

You read all the comments??? you rock! I don't have libraryfobia, just lack of a good library...not that I'm bashing Daytons library but it's a smallish room with computers in the middle. Doubt I would find the book there. But now that you say it's austinish, I may go looking for it, even if it's not picked. I love austinish novels.

Landee said...

We could maybe handle a LOLLERZ book to chase The Hunger Games.

I definitely have no germ phobias. And my immune system is top notch you gize.

I'm leaving this one up to the Grand Puba, it's her, Jenny.

eekareek said...

Jenny is not the boss, Landee!!!! The desicion will be mine. I must first do some research.

Jenny ESP said...

Thanks Michelle. You're right, we should probably avoid books that are hard to find. When I first looked up the GS on Amazon, there were several cheep used copies for sale, but when I went back to order one, the books were about $17 after shipping (very high for used books). I went ahead and ordered it so I'll be reading it regardless.

Jenny ESP said...

Wait a minute. If we read the GS we get to go to London? I already have my book, you gize. So I guess it'll be me, Shel, and Markie in London. We'll photo shop you in.

Hot Pants said...

I'm getting my book, and booking my trip! I will spend some time brushing up on my foreign accent skills, so I will be able to communicate with the Londoners. This is gonnna be GREAT!!!!

Cristin said...

Sweet!!! I'm totally in for this trip ::running to every single used book store to find the book::